Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ruin Falls by Jenny Milchman


Jenny Milchman's second novel is a master piece of suspense. I loved her first novel, Cover of Snow, but this book was stunning! Every mother will break the rules to get her children back but Jenny Milchman really captures the pathos of the mother with all the foibles of a person struggling to understand what's happened. 

Liz Daniels is heading to her father's parents on a rare trip away from home. She listens to the children bicker in the backseat and she's filled with joy at her simple life. A glance at the brilliant man beside her completes the picture of a happy family. 24 hours later everything would be different. Her children missing, her husband involved and no one can help her. 

Liz realizes that the life that had she thought was so simple and happy was filled with cracks that she had turned a blind eye to for years. She struggles as she realizes no one will help to find her children but she begins to slowly peel apart the lies and misinformation that surrounds her husband. 

I don't want to say too much more because I am really afraid that I already kind of gave you a spoiler. But I love Liz Daniels, she's flawed yes but who doesn't fall into a rut, who doesn't trust blindly the ones we love and live with. I really enjoyed the struggle as Liz came to terms with everything and fought with every inch of her soul to be reunited with her family. The story was touching and moving, and made you want to bite your nails to make sure everything would turn out okay. 

I also enjoy learning new things and a lot of the environmental stuff I wasn't totally aware of, I thought Jenny handled it well, teaching about the subject and making it interesting without letting the subject over take the story. 

Defintely check out this author if you haven't already! Such a great read!! 

2 comments:

  1. Terra, this is the kind of review that makes a writer tear up. Thank you for loving Liz as much as I do. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to read my review let alone reply!

      Delete